Thursday, January 31, 2008

Brothers and more



Here is a picture of me with my "little" brother, Jeff. Tomorrow is February 1 and that's his month - his birthday is Feb. 12. He'll be 47 - wow. I remember sitting in the back seat of the car and Jeff riding home from the hospital on my lap as a newborn! Since then, I've had 5 kids, he's had 2, and our sister, who was only a thought on Feb. 12, 1961, has had three. And she has four grandchildren and one on the way! Neither Jeff nor I have made it as grandparents yet but maybe not too long from now for both of us...

I went to a basketball game with Jeff and his wife, and my youngest, at our high school the other night. It was fun - we're going to do it again soon. Amazing, we live just a few miles from each other and don't see each other that often. It's crazy, but it seems like you make more effort to see someone you love, and actually do see them more often when you live further away, than when you live close! Go figure.

The election is in full swing - well, maybe not FULL swing yet. I'm scurrying to get a few things ready and certainly am hopeful...Lord willing, I'll win and have the opportunity to continue to serve the families in this area who are hurting, the best I can.

I have a speaking engagement tonight, to a group of folks who have suffered the trauma of divorce. I've never experienced it myself - thank the Lord - but I see it all around me in my work as a family court judge. Tonight should be very interesting for me and I hope interesting and helpful to the group. I can't talk about specifics or "give advice" but I can tell them generally how my Court and the law work, so as citizens and consumers they'll have a better idea about those things. Making the process less mysterious and more understandable hopefully will take the tinge off some of the nervousness if these folks ever find themselves in my Court.

Well - must go get ready for my talk, and so will close for now.

No comments: