Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Ides of July

Well, here we are at July 15th. I attended a two-day seminar yesterday and today and saw many, many old friends - several of whom did not know about the election outcome. So explaining the lay of the land all over again was fun - ah well.

I worked till 9:00 p.m. last Friday, then at least four hours each on Saturday and Sunday. My hearing/trial schedule the next two days is fairly heavy but Friday should be clear. My goal is to get three decisions that have been burning a whole in me (overdue since before the election) out by the end of this week, even if it means working all day this Saturday. All three cases have attorneys on both sides and the lawyers have been very understanding - I've been keeping in touch and letting them know of my progress. I know people want closure but these three particular cases each had enough complexity that a quick decision likely wouldn't have been a very good one.

It's now just over two months past the election, which means we have 5-1/2 months left on the bench. It's been quite a two months! People still ask me, of course, "what are you going to do?," to which I generally answer, "I don't know and haven't taken much time to think about it." In reality, I think about it all the time, so maybe it's more accurate to say I haven't felt like I've had the time or information to formulate anything definite. As I have been, I still am focusing on opening my own office, because I have control over that. My big concern there is cash-flow and benefits, since I'm the principal breadwinner and the provider of health insurance, etc., at least at this point.

What I know is - a lot has come to my attention in the past two months, and a lot more will come to my attention in the next five-plus. So we will see - this evening, feeling a bit impatient just to know(!) but I must focus my energy on the folks coming to see me tomorrow and Thursday and getting the "big three" decisions out this week. The short-term goal must trump the long-term for now.

No comments: