Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independence Day After Eve

It's July 5 so hope everyone had a good 4th. It was rainy, rainy here. Today's sunny, not too hot but pretty humid.

Finally, on Thursday, I had my much needed "Friday" - in other words, a day without hearings or trials. Although I still have much paperwork to do, and have brought a good bit of it home with me this weekend which I have yet to start on here, I did get quite a bit done on July 3 at the office. And in case you're wondering if I deserved a day like that - I was in Court from 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. Wednesday! Tuesday was a more normal day - solid hearings from about 8:30 - 5:00 with a lunch break - but Monday was a mega-domestic violence day, in Court until at least 7:30. Some things about this job I won't miss - like this Wednesday - but still, most things I will miss. Ah well.

Still thinking a lot about the next step, and hearing of new possibilities all the time. You'll be the first to know when I know!

My daughter's three friends from college are visiting for a week starting this weekend, so we've been on a cleaning/repair frenzy. My youngest and I had the pleasure of re-caulking our shower yesterday. The part that took the longest by far was removing the old, yucky, mildewy caulk. A bonding experience in more ways than one (pun intended).

Busy week at work next week and Friday should be fairly free for paperwork except for my dental appointment - at least it's very early in the day, so won't interrupt things too much. My teeth do need cleaned, I drink a lot of coffee (like right now).

I'm attending an abuse-and-neglect seminar at the WVU Law School - my alma mater - July 14 and 15, and a week-long family-law mediation seminar Aug 4-8 at the same location. Getting ready for the future as best I can. Also will be meeting with my successors to get started on scheduling for them - they don't yet have the authority to schedule, so if I don't do it for them they'll start the new year with nothing set for hearing or trial. That would be a big problem in more ways than one - my secretary already has a stack of things that need to be scheduled. Except for domestic violence and a few other things, we're not scheudling anything else for me -we're booked thru mid-November and the rest of the time will be needed to finish things. I'm determined to make the transition smooth and positive and definitely not to leave the Family Court in a shambles.

By the way - my courtroom is not going to be used for the Family Court anymore so I don't have to give up my courtroom to anyone! I've got a copy of the plans for the new space, in the Court House Annex, and I don't like them at all. It's a modern space, not at all like the original Court House space I'm in, and I think will have much less of a "court" feel. Hey! Maybe I'm looking for reasons to feel good about leaving this job - but if that helps me over the hump, so be it. The fact is, there are advantages, and I am looking forward to doing something new, interesting and hopefully helpful to people. Now doesn't that make me sound noble? But I mean it. We'll see what God does. A friend of mine pointed out that it's somewhat frustrating to know that God already knows what's going to happen, but He won't tell us when we want to know! True - but also true that He is the Master of all timing, including when it's time for us to know the next step. Good to know that He does know already and that He can be trusted!

Oh - we have two new family members, cats. Twins. My secretary's neighbor had them and we were just going to get one but as I should have predicted, my wife and daughter and youngest son couldn't bear the thought of separating them. So, I made this deal - we could get both, but I had final say over the names. RIGHT! It's not that I don't like the names, they're fine. Hugo and James. Something to do with "Lost" which members of my family (not me) are addicted to. I think it's probably a great show but I limit my addictions to Survivor and Amazing Race.

No comments: