Thursday, January 8, 2009

And so it begins...

I promised you'd be the first to know...

Life takes a strange twist or two, doesn't it. I was unemployed for exactly one week. (Actually, not at all - see end of this paragraph.) Today, I started a new job - but it's not one I would've expected, and it also is temporary. I'm the interim kids' ministry director at our church. The hiring was made retroactive to 1/1/09 -the very next day after my judgeship ended - because I'd been meeting and working with our children's minister and others both before the end of 2008 and between 1/1 and today, in anticipation of the possibility of being hired. God is good!

It's not such a stretch for me - I've been a volunteer in ministry for years and actually did something similar to this twice before, when I lived in Huntington. So I'm grateful for the chance to serve and of course, for the additional income it will provide my family. It definitely has a couple of nice practical features - very flexible, allowing time for me to do some other things on the side (read on...) - and also "no strings attached" meaning that if the church finds a full-time person, my assignment is over, and if I find a full-time legal position, my assignment is over. (That sounds a bit abrupt - one way or the other, I'd expect to be a part of the transition. I'm into paving the way for successors these days :)

Also today, I got my first court appointment, to represent the interests of a kid in a guardianship case. And, a call from someone I may accept as a client on a rather simple paperwork matter. I anticipate more court appointments and also assignments as mediator in Family Court. My bar membership officially changed today from "judicially inactive" to "active" and my malpractice insurance is in process.

There remain some interesting opportunities on the horizon and I intend to keep this blog updated. But for now...even though this turn was not expected, I'm very grateful.

No comments: