Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year

Last Wed. Dec. 31 was my last day on the bench. Beginning Dec. 27, Sat., I worked every day between then and the end of the year, finishing things up, cleaning things out, etc. But on Dec. 31, I did 8 weddings, and they were fun - all very interesting, all very different. Channel 12, WBOY-TV, covered them, and I not only made the news that evening, I made West Virginia Media's statewide newscast. Last night, I watched West Virginia Media's "week in review" which features one story of note around the state for each day of the previous week - and guess what? Yup, my weddings were the feature for Wednesday! It was a nice way to go out.

My staff took me out to lunch, which was wonderful but bittersweet, and then I headed back to the office about 3:00 to finish clean-out. My wife and youngest came about 4:15 and helped me finish - we left about 5:00 p.m. Busy since then! We had a party New Year's Eve here at home that started about 6:30 and ended just after midnight - a lot of fun and nice to have something to occupy my time and mind that evening. New Year's Day, I lazed around and watched football. Then Friday - had a nice dinner and movie date with my wife! Saturday, we had a visit from some dear friends, but also had some family matters to attend to. And leading us to today - this is the first day the Court House has been open since I left my job. Yes, I did call my staff today - they're there, waiting for my successor judges to actually start. The judges are in Charleston all week this week for training.

I'm trying to keep myself occupied, active and productive! Today, I've worked out, paid bills, made arrangements to get my bar membership reactivated, talked to my new malpractice insurance carrier, and taken care of umpteen other things. Working off a long list on a legal pad! It'll take me several days to make a dent. I haven't yet started cleaning out my boxes from the office or setting up the new office space for me we're planning for our attic.

Hopeful that we'll have more clarification of what's really going on here soon!

No comments: