Thursday, June 5, 2008

I Got Pecked in the Eye by a Bird

The title says it all!

We're in Florida - it's been a great trip, therapy for me for sure. We've enjoyed a great riverfront house with a canoe, manatee right outside our door (sometimes), visiting family, swimming, great weather, and more. We have to leave tomorrow morning but we're stopping at the Orange Shop in Citra on the way out of Florida - that's a special memory for my three oldest boys so now my youngest two will get to join in on the fun of that -- it's just a little shop by the side of the road with amazing fresh-squeezed orange juice and all the Florida trinkets you could think of.

Talked to my secretary and case coordinator today and learned that the rains in our part of West Virginia have been torrential - so doubly glad not to have been home this week!

Back to the title - we were visiting my sister-in-law in Orlando last night and she, to say the least, is a bird person. One of her "teenage" black chickens (not still a chick but not fully grown) was sitting on my shoulder and decided to reach around and peck me in the left eye. That was more than 24 hours ago and yes, it's still somewhat painful but basically OK. The eye is an amazing thing - it heals rather quickly. I've been able to drive, haven't had to take my contact out, etc., so despite some discomfort it seems to be all right.

Heading for West Virginia, but not home, tomorrow. We'll stay in southern W.Va. Friday night and then on Saturday, the dedication of our new Dining Hall at our beloved Camp Cowen is the big event - featuring the principal architect who once again is my son. Yes I'm a proud papa - and I invite you to check it out by going to www.wvbc.org, click on Camp Cowen, click on Dining Hall and you'll see why. I'm counseling at Sr. High Camp starting June 15 (I've done this camp every year since 1981) and can't wait to be part of a camp using the new Alice Randall -

Will sign off for now. A busy week awaits when I get home - hearings, still trying to catch up on paperwork, and thinking, praying, considering more about the future. I've had lots of thoughts this week but won't share them here just yet...to be continued...

No comments: