It's been a while since I blogged - a busy time. Spent last week at Camp Cowen with 200 Sr. High aged kids and a bunch of other counselors. My 29th year in a row counseling that camp! God's been good to allow me to go every year and I'm hoping to continue at least till 2015 - that's when my youngest boy will graduate from high school. Maybe longer!
I'm in Charleston right now and am attending our annual Spring Family Court Conference (even though it's summer). This is one of the things I'll miss - frankly, it's fun being with my colleagues. Over the years I've gotten quite close with some of them. Plus, since there are only 35 of us and we have uniquely stressful jobs, we have an affinity - even those of us who might not have much in common otherwise.
I'll be back at Camp a week in July, with my youngest, but before then I'll be attending a two-day abuse-and-neglect conference in Morgantown. I'm also attending the mediation training in Morgantown in August. Preparing for the future...still focusing on doing my own thing job-wise as of the first of the year but in a very controlled way.
The thought of starting a non-profit with focus on youth law issues has crossed my mind. One of our current Family Court Judges started the only such program in West Virginia a few years ago and it's still going strong, in the far southern part of the State. There would be advantages to that format over a private practice, for sure, but also it would be more limiting - will have to think on that one.
It's good to be here in Charleston among friendly folks - and those with whom I can toss around ideas. Also got to have dinner last evening, and to spend several hours, with some of my law school friends who also had some helpful thoughts and suggestions. At least, I feel like I have steady relationships with people who not only care about me but who also are good sources of information.
Tomorrow is six weeks from the election and it feels like a lot longer. I still have six months plus on the bench but I know it will go by quickly. Time is a funny thing -

No comments:
Post a Comment