...If the title doesn't make sense, don't expect much better from this blog entry. As I start this, it is 8:45 p.m. and I'm feeling very tired - in an all-over-my-body way.
Yesterday was Mother's Day and more or less, I took it off. After church, we did go to the community baked steak dinner at Lost Creek, because my wife wanted baked steak! Our #2 son (who is featured in one of my commercials and who wrote and performed my jingle!) and his wife came down from Morgantown on Saturday and spent the night, so they were with us at dinner. #3 son was working a weekend shift so there were the five of us - me, my wife, son and wife, and our youngest son. The day was drizzly, dreary and cold but we for the most part were cozy at home - a nice day.
I did stop off on the way home to repair one of my banner signs which had come off its pole on one side, and that was a wet job - but it didn't take long. And at home, I did sign somewhere in the neighborhood of 425 cards - the newer "postcard brochures" which were mailed to some potential voters but for the most part were handed out at dinners or otherwise in person, and more recently, door-to-door. On many of them, I wrote a greeting, asking for a vote and thanking the voter, and signing my name.
This past week, I did quite a bit of door-to-door. 100 doors in Lumberport on Tuesday, 65 doors outside Bridgeport Thursday, 125 doors in Shinnston Friday, 200 doors in Bridgeport today. Before I got to Bridgeport today, I was in Doddridge County and Salem making some contacts, making sure signs were up, etc.
Oh - on the way home today, I was looking for a couple of my signs. A lady had approached my wife over two months ago and said she'd like to have a sign, and that she had a good place for it where many folks would see it. I delivered in that very evening - in fact, her daughter who lives near her took one too. At least one of the signs was to be posted where traffic could see it very easily from Rt. 50 and I never could spot it - so today, I went back into the little neighborhood where the two women live to see if I could spot them. I did! Standing back to back on one of their porches! It looks to me that the never had been posted, although they certainly weren't hidden. They were on the porch in plain sight, but not in any place where they'd be seen by too many people. I went ahead and took them off the porch and posted them in prominent places - I know the election is tomorrow but in keeping with all the work I've done today and the thought that they're no good after tomorrow -- why not?
I have one banner that I meant to try and get posted today but that just didn't happen. Ah well. I suppose I could drive myself crazy figuring out a place to post it tonight - but I think it's enough. I'm done.
I did do 30 more houses in Nutter Fort after I got home this evening, about 6:40, and after I'd shared a quick dinner with the family. It's been a wet day but not torrential rains. Still, my feet even now feel wet. Excuse me while I take off my shoes and socks --
The newspaper was interesting on Sunday. My opponent and I both had ads - hers was bigger than mine but I like where mine appeared in the paper better. The other two candidates also had ads - one was quite large and in color, the other was simpler and the same size as mine. I don't know what to think about that other race, for the 2nd Family Court Judge position - it'll be very interesting to see how it turns out -
As for my race - many folks have asked me quite a few questions about my opponent, her strategies, her commercials, etc., and frankly some of those same questions have occurred to me. Not sure they'll ever get answered or that I'll even seek the answers. In other words, I think when this election is over, it needs to be over. No post-mortem needed!
Having said that - no doubt there will be perspective on lots of aspects of the election that can't come for a while. I'm sure I'll have opinions on what I did right, what I over-focused on, what I wasted money on, what I didn't spend enough on, etc. All in all, though, it has been an amazing ride. So, so many people have come around me and been so great, contributed so much. My talented family has given and given. The two women who work for me have been incredible, too.
The plan for tomorrow is to get up fairly early - not the crack of dawn, mind you - and vote. Then, we get ready for the cookout my wife has planned as a thank you to our friends who've helped with the campaign. My lawn is a jungle!! It has rained most of the last week and it needed mowed before that - so lawn work will be a feature of tomorrow (it's supposed to be dry). #3 son will have primary responsibility there because I'm sure I'll be a bit low-key tomorrow physically - I'll be sore from all of today's walking (much of it very hilly) and just overall in need of rest. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's get-together, though.
I haven't decided yet if I'll be at the Court House tomorrow night. Candidates often are there, watching the precincts and of course waiting for the final outcome. Since Doddridge County's vote counts too, I'm not sure when we'll get the combined total, final vote tally. I'm hopeful it's tomorrow evening at a decent hour and not the wee hours or even sometime later -- like I said, this needs to be done!
I'm not hearing any cases the rest of this week. In fact, on Friday, we're headed for Indiana to pick up our daughter who's finished her year at college. She voted absentee for her old Dad, by the way :)
I sincerely hope the next blog entry will report to you my victory in tomorrow's election. However, one way or the other, tomorrow is a victory. The election will be over and I will be satisfied that I worked HARD and did the best I could. I always told my kids, when they were involved in sports or other activities, that what was most important was: 1. Do your best; 2. Have fun. I can honestly say I've done my very best. And yes, there have been many fun things about this process. Fun enough to do again?!? Catch me in eight years for the answer :)
To all my friends, have a restful night, and be sure and get out and vote FOR ME tomorrow!! I will post again as soon as I can - good evening for now --

No comments:
Post a Comment